Annapolis Buildings Damaged in Quake to Reopen
Naval Academy reports minor damage, but midshipmen routine is not affected.
Two buildings that were closed due to structural damage after Tuesday's earthquake are expected to reopen Wednesday night, Rhonda Wardlaw, public information officer for the city of Annapolis said.
On Dock Street, Armadillo’s bar and the building next to it— Storm Bros. Ice Cream Company— were closed due to a damaged chimney at Armadillo’s.
Wardlaw said those buildings were expected to reopen this evening, likely by 8 p.m Wednesday.
In addition, the Historic Annapolis Foundation museum remains closed at this time, Wardlaw said.
As Patch reported Tuesday, several Annapolis buildings received structural damage following the 5.9 earthquake that was felt throughout much of the East Coast.
Some buildings were closed until the damage could be assesed and inspectors deemed them safe for re-entry.
Wardlaw said 99 percent of calls and inspections were for chimneys.
According to a press release from the U.S. Naval Academy, both the academy and Naval Support Activity Annapolis received minor damage from Tuesday’s earthquake. Midshipmen routine is not affected, officials said in the release.
There were no injuries from the earthquake and buildings were temporarily evacuated, but classes resumed soon after, according to the release.
According to the release, the following damage was found:
- Superficial cracks on the outside of the eighth wing of Bancroft Hall
- Minor paint chip damage in Memorial Hall
- Air conditioning is temporarily unavailable at Alumni Hall and cosmetic cracks were reported in the east side granite
- In MacDonough Hall, the third floor is closed after inspectors discovered cracks with brick falling from the arch in the weight room. the building will be closed until repairs are completed.
- The sprinkler system shifted and ceiling tiles were damaged at the Robert Crown Sailing Center.
- A temporary partial powere outage was reported in the lab deck of Rickover Hall, but classes are not affected.
Patch will update this story as more information becomes available.