UPDATE: Chemical Cloud Accidentally Released at BayWoods
Annapolis fire officials are reporting that a chemical release at BayWoods of Annapolis has affected the indoor swimming pool area.
UPDATE: (11:56 a.m.)—A chemical cloud was accidentally released into the indoor pool room at BayWoods of Annapolis causing evacuation of the area on Friday, Annapolis fire officials said.
A hazmat team discovered that liquid chlorine was dropped into a vat of muriatic acid in the poll equipment room, which "created a vapor cloud that immediately engulfed the swimming pool area," said Battalion Chief John Menassa.
The building is a residential condominium complex for senior citizens, independent living and assisted living. There are two six-story residential wings that are connected in the center by a building called the commons, which has meetings rooms, shops and the indoor swimming pool.
Residents called emergency services at 9:44 a.m. Friday morning after they noticed a strong chlorine odor coming from the pool area.
Menassa said the no residents needed to be evacuated because the swimming pool is enclosed in its own room, but there were complaints from people about the smell. The on-duty lifeguard was transported to Anne Arundel Medical Center as a precautionary measure.
Residents are still being asked to stay in their apartments for the time being. Menassa said the people in the assisted living wing are on a separate ventilation system, and he does not anticipate they will need to be evacuated.
The hazmat team successfully ventilated the area, and Menassa said it will be back to business as usual around BayWoods by early afternoon on Friday.
Traffic on Bay Front Drive near Edgewood Road was closed to traffic for about an hour.
Patch will provide updates as they are available.