Fishing For Fun
Take advantage of the "free fishing day" in Maryland and expose your children to a new experience.
We've assembled a weekly calendar of kid-friendly activities and new places to try out with children. Each week, we'll give you the info on the five best family activities or events for the week.
We know you're busy, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable driving distance.
Look for the kids’ planner each week, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips—just add them to the comment box. Even if you disagree with our picks, let us know. We want to hear from you.
- Where/When: The Bay Theatre Company, 275 West St, Annapolis. Saturday at 11 a.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.
- Why: The entire family will enjoy this musical interpretation of the classic children's fairy tale Rumpelstiltskin. This show will provide a perfect setting for a birthday, special occasion or afternoon.
- Price: $30 adults, $25 seniors (over 65) and $25 students (with valid ID).
- Where/When: Patuxent Research Refuge National Wildlife Visitor Center, 10901 Scarlet Tanager Loop, Laurel. Saturday, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- Why: All kids under the age of 15 with any interest in fishing will love the opportunity to get their hands on a pole and cast away. Recognized as the "Free Fishing Day" in Maryland, all equipment is provided for participants. Instruction will be provided prior to fishing time at the refuge.
- Price: Free, advanced registration is required by calling 301-497-5887.
- Where/When: Zü Coffee, 934 Bay Ridge Rd, Annapolis. Monday, 11 to 11:30 a.m.
- Why: Zü Kids Club offers music and fun with Bridgette Michaels on guitar and Dawn on the congas. Enjoy a locally roasted coffee while the kiddos enjoy the tunes.
- Price: A $5 donation for Bridgette helps keep the songs going.
- Where/When: Franklin's Toys, Festival at Riva. Tuesday, 11 a.m., noon and 1 p.m.
- Why: Kids of all ages will enjoy the opportunity to make a stepping stone for Dad or Grandpa for Father's Day. This class will provide the perfect chance to dabble in mosiacs with the assistance of the staff at Franklins Toy Store.
- Price: $8 per child.
- Where/When: Westfield Annapolis mall. Wednesday, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- Why: Let the kids enjoy a cool inside activity with a morning of music and fun with the WFamily program. Meet some old or new friends for play at the mall's new play land and maybe grab lunch at one of the nearby restaurants.
- Price: Free.