Schedule Set for Eastport Green Beer Races
The annual event at the Eastport Democratic Club will raise money for Eastport Elementary School.
It’s time to start getting ready for the annual Green Beer Races at the Eastport Democratic Club.
This year’s event is set for noon-8 p.m. March 10. The races have grown into a daylong party with relay races for teams representing Annapolis bars and restaurants, Kool-Aid races for the kids, a keg toss, food and live music.
The main event features racers carrying green beer on trays along a course as quickly as they can.
Prizes also will be awarded for the Best Dressed Dog and the Cutest Leprechaun.
A portion of the money raised at the event will be donated to Eastport Elementary School, according to a release.
Here’s this year’s schedule:
- Noon: Gates open; race and keg toss registration.
- 12:30 p.m.: Call to the Races by Hal, the Piper; Blessing of the Racers and traditional Irish toast by Dave Aland, Ancient Order of the Hibernians.
- 1 p.m.: Kids green Kool-Aid races.
- 2 p.m.: Best Dressed Dog and Cutest Leprechaun judging.
- 2:30 p.m. and 4 p.m.: The Teelin Irish Dance Company
- 3 p.m.: Adult relay races and keg toss.
Post-race celebration (inside):
- 2-4 p.m.: Ebb & Flo, local acoustic music.
- 5-8 p.m.: Michael McHenry Tribe, soulful, psychedelic, funky rock music.
Of course, there will be green beer, along with corned beef and cabbage with Irish soda bread. There also will be hamburgers, hot dogs, steamed spiced shrimp, freshly shucked oysters and more for purchase, according to the release.
For more information or to sponsor a team, visit EastportDC.com or call Jeni Parris Brady at 443-871-9088.