Grab Your Half Pint to Get Cooking
School is back a session and families with preschoolers will enjoy a lesson in preparing their own snacks.
We've assembled a weekly calendar of kid-friendly activities and new places to try out with children. Each week, we'll give you the info on the five best family activities or events for the week.
We know you're busy, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable driving distance.
Look for the kids’ planner each week, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips—just add them to the comment box. Even if you disagree with our picks, let us know. We want to hear from you.
- Where/When: Maryland State Fairgrouds. Saturday, Aug. 26 to Monday, Sept. 5, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Why: It's that time of year again. Grab the family and head to the fairgrounds for a jam packed day of fun. Don't miss the livestock displays, entertaining midway rides and games, plus a host of live entertainment.
- Price: Adult admission $8, Senior admission (62 & over) $6, Children (6 to 11) $3, children 5 and under are admitted FREE (Rides are not included).
- Where/When: My Gym. Friday, 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- Why: Families with little ones up to 8 years old will enjoy this open house full of enticing activities. This is a great opportunity to let your children try the activities offered at My Gym for free along with special games.
- Price: Free.
- Where/When: Maryland Renaissance Festival Grounds. Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Continuing on weekends through Oct. 23.
- Why: Calling all ladies, lords and peasants alike. The Renaissance Festival begins this weekend to party like its the 16th century with the quaint village, jousting matches and strolling performers.
- Price: Adults: $19, Seniors: $16, Children 7-15: $9, Children under 7 are free. A discount coupon is valid for the first three weekends for unlimited savings.
- Where/When: Whole Foods Market. Wednesday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Why: Don't miss the "Free Make-It Take-It" event to create your own art that can be used as gift tags, note cards and more! Perfect for ages 3 and up.
- Price: Free.
- Where/When: Metro Diner. Wednesday, 5 to 8 p.m.
- Why: Take a break from cooking dinner and head to the Metro Diner in the Annapolis Towne Centre. While you enjoy your meal, sit back and enjoy the entertainment provided by Bows the Clown.
- Price: Included with the cost of meal.