Patch Picks: Treating Mom
Dinner is always nice for Mother's Day, but there's more than one way to show Mom you care.
Moms are the greatest—cooking you hot meals, keeping a clean home, walking the
dogs, taking care of you when you’re sick, reminding you that no one has all the
answers, wiping your tears. They do it all.
Spend this Mother’s Day saying thanks by choosing an original way to celebrate everything your mom does, and show her how amazing and special she is.
1. Sam’s on the Waterfront: Sam’s on the Waterfront, located at 2020
Chesapeake Harbour Dr. East, presents two special brunch items and an
array of dinner choices on its Mother’s Day menu.
Choose from Lobster mac and cheese, crispy calamari, Spanish style shrimp and more for your first course; follow up with a selection from the entrée menu of either a shrimp omelette or crepes, served until 4 p.m., or roasted chicken, New
Zealand lamb, rockfish, and crab cakes.
Costing an average of $25, take the family along with Mom to celebrate her special day on the water. Call 410-263-3600 for more information and reservations.
2. Bruster’s Real Ice Cream: Located at 1409 Forest Dr., Bruster’s is hosting
a kid’s cake workshop on Saturday May 7. Kids will work with the staff
at Bruster’s to decorate their own petite cakes just for Mother’s Day.
Children work in the store, can view ice cream being made, and receive a
$2 off coupon for a full-size cake. Costing $10, there are four one-hour block
sessions beginning at noon. Children must be accompanied by an adult, and
registration is required. Call 410-295-0025 to register.
3. Luna Blu: The Italian restaurant Luna Blu, at 36 West St., will provide
its four-course dinner special for $35 on Mother’s Day. Sample any house
salad, appetizer, entrée and dessert on the menu with your Mom, in true
The restaurant will be open Sunday just for Mother’s Day from 2 to 8 p.m. Call 410-267-9950 to make reservations.
4. Get Creative: What better way to spend Mother’s Day than doing something
creative together? Sit your mom down and start a scrapbook or a photo
Start by going through that cardboard box of photos every mom has, and choose similar pictures to begin a theme for your book. You could pick something from Mom’s younger days, your childhood, a pet you both cherished, or vacations you shared.
Stop by Michael’s in the Festival at Riva to get supplies, such as albums, fine scissors, adhesive, refill pages for your album, and some page decorations. The time you spend working together will be as precious as the collection of memories you’ll
organize into an album.
5. Take Mom on a Cruise: Take advantage of the beauty surrounding Annapolis
and take Mom on a cruise for Mother’s Day this year. Here are some you might enjoy the most on your Mother’s Day Sunday:
Watermark Cruises, 410-268-7601:
- Annapolis Harbor and U.S. Naval Academy 40-minute Cruise. Tour departs every hour on the hour from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Price is $13 for adults and $5 for children. No reservations. Departs departure from Annapolis City Dock.
- Spa Creek Tour aboard Miss Anne 40-minute Cruise. Tour departs every hour on the half hour from 1:30 to 6:30 p.m. Price is $13 for adults and $5 for children. Departure from Annapolis City Dock.
- Scenic six-mile Severn River 90-minute Cruise. Price is $22 for adults and $10 for children. Departs from Annapolis City Dock at 12:30 p.m.
- Chesapeake Bay Bridge 90-minute Cruise. Cost is $22 for adults and $10 for children. Departs from Annapolis City Dock at 2:30 p.m.
- Thomas Point Lighthouse 90-minute Cruise. Cost is $22 for adults and $10 for children. Departs from Annapolis City Dock at 4:30 p.m.
Schooner Woodwind Cruises, 410-263-7837:
- Take a cruise on the 74-foot schooner designed and built specifically for sailing on the Chesapeake Bay. Times are 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.; 3 to 5 p.m.; Sunset Sail rom 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Price is $39 for adults, $37 for seniors (60+), and $25 for children under 12. Cruises include tax, one complimentary soft drink and snack. Departs from Annapolis Marriott Waterfront Hotel.