It's time to lace up those running shoes. The ZOOMA Annapolis 10K and half-marathon takes place downtown Saturday morning at 7 a.m.
"The thing about ZOOMA is this girls' weekend atmosphere where you feel like you're just with your girlfriends and there is wine at the end and shopping and massages," said Lara Mish, the coach for the ZOOMA Annapolis training group.
She said although the race is advertised as a women-only run, there are a few men who participate.
"You will see men and the joke with the men is: Well, hey, where else can you go where you have all these women chasing you?" Mish said.
There will also be some male pacers.
"All the pacers I know personally are active in Annapolis either in the triathlon club or Annapolis Striders, the running club," Mish said. "And they really help people achieve that goal or reach that personal record."
There is an after-party and expo at the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium End Zone that runs from 8 a.m. to noon and is open to anyone—which includes everyone who decided to run in this year's race, according to the ZOOMA Annapolis website.
The race will close roads around downtown Annapolis on Saturday. Michelle LeFurge, special projects coordinator for the city of Annapolis, said there are a few things residents and visitors should keep in mind.
"I think that the important point for downtown residents is that the entire downtown area will be open by 7:50 a.m.," LeFurge said. "So they don’t need to worry about getting in for shopping and anything else they want to do Saturday."
LeFurge also said residents and visitors to downtown should "please remember that the Naval Academy Bridge will be closed from 7:20 a.m. to 10:20 a.m."
Police will be directing traffic as first and last runners enter and exit the streets, according to the press release from the city of Annapolis.
STREET CLOSURES BY LOCATION AND TIME
Traffic will be able to travel in and out of Rowe Boulevard by way of a detour around the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. Police will be stationed at the Rowe intersections (Farragut Road/Rowe Boulevard and Herbert Sachs/Rowe Boulevard) to direct people.
Stadium Area (7-7:30 a.m.)
• Taylor Ave. between Cedar Park Rd. & Rowe Blvd.- Closed to traffic
• Taylor Ave. & Cedar Park Rd. - Closed to traffic
• Cedar Park Rd. & Farragut Rd. - Closed to traffic
• Cedar Park Rd. between Taylor Ave. & Farragut Rd.- Closed to traffic
• Farragut Rd. & Rowe Blvd.- No cars allowed on Farragut
West Annapolis/Taylor Ave. Area (7:30-10:30 a.m.)
• Intersection of Rowe Blvd. at Taylor Ave. - Closed to traffic (detour around the Stadium at Farragut Rd. to re-enter Rowe via Herbert Sachs Blvd.)
• Taylor Ave. SOUTH of Rowe Blvd. – Open to traffic (detour around the Stadium at Farragut Rd. to go toward West St. or re-enter Rowe Blvd.)
• Taylor Ave. NORTH of Rowe Blvd. – Closed to traffic
• Rt. 450/Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd. – Closed to traffic
• King George St. between College Ave. and Baltimore Blvd. – Closed to traffic
Historic Area (7:10-7:50 a.m.)
• Rowe Blvd. between Taylor Ave. & Northwest St. - Inbound (SE bound) lanes closed to traffic between 7:10 and 7:25 on a rolling basis
• Rowe Blvd & Taylor Ave.- Inbound lanes closed to traffic
• Northwest St.- Closed to traffic on a rolling basis
• Church Circle-North portion of Circle between Northwest St.& Main St.; closed to traffic on a rolling basis; southern portion of Circle remains open to traffic
• Church Circle at College Ave.- Closed to traffic when runners are passing
• Main St.- Closed to traffic
• Main St. & Randall St. -Closed to traffic
• Randall St. & King George St. - Closed to traffic
• King George St. between Randall St. & Baltimore Blvd.- Closed to traffic
• College Ave. at King George St. – Closed to traffic entering King George St.
Naval Academy Bridge (7:20-10:20 a.m.) – Detour Rt. 50
• Route 450 Naval Academy Bridge – All lanes closed to traffic
• Baltimore Blvd. at Bowyer Rd. – Closed to traffic
• Baltimore Blvd. at Sellers Rd. – Closed to traffic
• Baltimore Blvd. at Longshaw Rd. – Closed to traffic
• King George St. from College to Baltimore Blvd. – Closed to traffic
Ritchie Highway (7:25-10:20 a.m.)
• Ritchie Highway between the Naval Academy Bridge & Severn Ridge Rd. Southbound lanes 7:25-10:20 a.m.; southbound traffic detours to Severn Ridge Way to Route 648 south
• Ritchie Highway between Severn Ridge Rd. & Boulters Way - Shoulder and left lane closed to traffic; right lane open to traffic until detour at Severn Ridge