We've assembled a weekly calendar of kid-friendly activities and new places to try out with children. Each week, we'll give you the info on the five best family activities or events for the week.
We know you're busy, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable driving distance.
Look for the kids’ planner each week, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips—just add them to the comment box. Even if you disagree with our picks, let us know. We want to hear from you!
- Where/When: , 273 Hilltop Lane, Annapolis, MD. Stop by the Roger W. "Pip" Moyer Recreation Center to pick up a passport for the Ranger Rick Geocaching adventure.
- Why: Geocaching is a fun way to seek adventure with your family and you can start with small steps in Annapolis. 'Caching' will take you to places you didn't know existed and help re-discover areas you thought you knew. Check out this video to learn all about geocaching.
- Price: Free.
- Where/When: Patuxent Research Refuge National Wildlife Visitor Center, 10901 Scarlet Tanager Loop, Laurel, MD. Saturday, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- Why: All kids under the age of 15 with any interest in fishing will love the opportunity to get their hands on a pole and cast away! Recognized as the "Free Fishing Day" in Maryland, all equipment is provided for participants. Instruction will be provided prior to fishing time at the refuge.
- Price: Free, advanced registration is required by calling 301-497-5887.
- Where/When: , 273 Hilltop Ln, Annapolis, MD. Saturday, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Why: Kids can learn how to recognize and repair their bikes with the assistance of more experienced mechanics on site. All funds raised from this program are fed back into the Revolution Kids program helping train teens how to properly repair bikes and instruction in cycling safety.
- Price: $15 + the cost of any supplies that you use from the shop-- i.e. brake cables, gear cables, tubes.
- Where/When: , Festival at Riva, Annapolis, MD. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Why: Let the kids decorate a frame to give to Dad or Grandpa for Father's Day. Your kids will enjoy letting their creative juices flow as they make a gift for a loved one.
- Price: Free with the purchase of a frame.
- Where/When: The Equilibrium Horse Center, 1685 Underwood Rd, Gambrills, MD. Sign up for a 5 week session with the upcoming sessions beginning on June 20 and 21.
- Why: If your child has been begging for riding lessons, this introductory session will present an excellent foundation for a love of horses.
- Price: $91 per student per session.