1. Unemployment rate drops—The U.S. unemployment rate dropped 0.2 points, down to 8.1 percent for the month of August. That should be good news for the president, but the economy added less than 100,000 new jobs, according to The Washington Post. That means more long-term unemployed workers have simply stopped looking. The Labor Department also lowered the number of jobs it had previously claimed were added to the economy in June and July.
2. Eight takeaways from DNC—Politico's Maggie Haberman breaks down the convention into eight quick bites that politically savvy folks will be talking about today. Haberman's takeaways include: The DNC was better than the RNC, former president Bill Clinton upstaged president Barack Obama and the dynamics of the presidential race remain unchanged.
3. Officer burial in Annapolis—Officer Forrest "Dino" Taylor, 44, of Annapolis died Aug. 29 due to complications from a surgery he needed after being injured in an on-duty traffic accident. will be held in Baltimore and then he will be laid to rest at Hillcrest Memorial Gardens. Annapolis police will close traffic on Forest Drive between Old Solomons Island Road and Chinquapin Round Road some time between 1:30 and 2:30 p.m.
4. Weather—It's going to be hot, mostly sunny and slightly less humid. The temperature today is supposed to reach a high of 87 degrees with 68 percent humidity, according to weather.com.
5. Book signing—Annapolis author Erika Robuck will be at Barnes & Noble in Annapolis at 7 p.m. about her new historical novel Hemingway's Girl.