Fashion moves at a record breaking pace. You would have to be Superman to keep up and Donald Trump to pay for it. There is no reason why you should have to break the bank every few months in order to look good and stay current. Here are a few things you can do to update and refresh each season.
1. Update your accessories: A new outfit is always nice and I am not saying that you shouldn’t splurge occasionally. A few new accessories can make you feel like you have a completely new look. Add a belt and a new necklace to the LBD you have hanging in the closet for a completely new look. For men the same can be done to spruce up your suiting. A new tie, belt and throw in a pocket square and that suit everyone has seen you in has new life.
2. Try a jacket: A structured blazer or Sports Coat is perfect for the Fall. The mornings have a tendency to be cold while the afternoons heat up. Layering a jacket with your outfit allows you to change your look and helps give an outfit diversity. This is also a great way to take a casual look to a client meeting, dinner, or a date.
3. Mix it up a bit: Sometimes what you need is already hiding under fifteen white crew cut t-shirts. It is easy to get stuck pairing your basic black slacks with your light blue dress shirt because you know it works. Stick a toe out of the box with a cardigan over your dress shirt, a new pair of shoes. The idea is to experiment.
4. Be smart about your purchases: Before you head to the store take an inventory of what you have in your closet. Stop holding on to the bell bottoms with the missing button. You are never going to wear them again. Go through your closet and take an inventory of what you already own. The purchases you make should be a compliment to your existing wardrobe.
4. Go with a friend: Wait, maybe I should rename this one. Go with an honest friend. Shop with someone you are comfortable with, who is familiar with your closet and style. Someone who is not afraid to ask if you have lost your mind.
Clothing should never be stressful, it is designed to be fun. Don’t be afraid to change your style often or experiment with different colors or textures. Look everywhere for inspiration. There are no mistakes in fashion, just the pictures to hide. We all survived the 80's, didn't we?