From a news release:
Many volunteer positions are available through the Volunteer Center For Anne Arundel County. If you do not see an opportunity below that fits your needs, contact the Volunteer Center at email@example.com or 410-897-9207. Check our Website: www.VolunteerAnneArundel.org. A few current volunteer opportunities are listed below.
Anne Arundel County Dept. of Recreation and Parks
The Dept. of Recreation and Parks has a variety of volunteer opportunities at parks and athletic fields in Anne Arundel County throughout the year. Visit the website at www.aacounty.org/RecParks/volunteer for detailed information. Upcoming specific events include:
· July 4-6, 2014, All American Sports Fest: This 3-day event features several sporting activities in a number of Anne Arundel county locations (See: www.allamericansportsfest.com). Volunteers are needed at various times each day to check water stations, work scoring tables, direct participants, and more. Also, assistance is needed each day with set up and breakdown of tents, tables and equipment. For more information and to volunteer, contact: Nicki Fiocco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-222-7315.
· Sat. evenings starting 7/5 and ending 8/23/14 and Sun. evening8/31/14, Quiet Waters Park Summer Concert Series: Volunteers are needed during these concerts to help with parking, seating, to sell raffle tickets, and just as general support. Volunteers get to enjoy a lovely night of music. Proceeds benefit Friends of Quiet Waters Park; see website for more details about the concerts at http://fqwp.org/summer-concerts. Contact: Nicki Fiocco at email@example.com or 410-222-7315 or sign up online at: http://www.volunteerannearundel.org/OpportunityCalendar.
· Sun. evenings, 6/29 and 9/7-9/28/14, Downs Park Concert Series:Volunteers are needed during these concerts to help with parking, seating, to sell raffle tickets, and just as general support. Volunteers get to enjoy a lovely evening of music. Proceeds benefit Friends of Downs Park; see the Recreation and Parks website at: www.aacounty.org/RecParks/volunteer for more information. Contact: Nicki Fiocco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-222-7315 or sign up online at: http://www.volunteerannearundel.org/OpportunityCalendar.
First Sunday Arts Festival
The streets and parks on West and Calvert Streets in the downtown historic area will be filled with over 100 unique artists and crafters, live bands, dance, street performers, and international outdoor cafes for the 12th Annual FirstSunday Arts Festival. The dates for 2014 are the first Sunday in the months May through October: July 6, August 3, September 7, and October 5, each from 12:00 noon-5:00 pm. There is also a First Sunday Holiday Arts Sale on November 2 at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts at 801 Chase Street. Admission is free to all First Sunday events. Volunteers are needed to help on four different shifts each Sunday between the hours of 8:00 AM–5:00 PM with set-up, assist the coordinator, and assist exhibitors/musicians/performers. Contact Julie Scott at: email@example.com 410-263-4012 for more information and to volunteer. See web site at:www.firstsundayarts.com/.
Habitat for Humanity of the Chesapeake
Habitat for Humanity of the Chesapeake is a nonprofit which provides simple, decent, affordable houses for deserving families who currently live in substandard conditions in Anne Arundel County and the Baltimore area. Volunteers are needed to help with construction in the county and Baltimore area. Many departmental support volunteer opportunities are also available to prepare low-income families to become homeowners, plan construction work, promote and publicize work, fundraise, maintain relationships with volunteers and donors, manage our finances, and more. To give your time and talent as a departmental volunteer at our local office, please contact Volunteer Engagement Manager, Shanita Modlin, firstname.lastname@example.org. For Volunteers interested in learning additional construction skills, and are willing to commit to regular volunteer days, may want to consider becoming a “Red Hat” (volunteers who serve as construction leaders on build sites). Habitat for Humanity will provide specialized training to equip them to supervise volunteer teams. For further information, contact Eric Bernhardt, Training Manager email@example.com or 410-366-1250 x118; visit websitehttp://www.habitatchesapeake.org/ for more details about volunteering.
Miles that Matter, Pikesville 5K Run/Walk, 8:00 a.m., Sunday, July 13, 2014
Hundreds of runners and volunteers will take part in the Pikesville 5K at Woodholme Center in the heart of Pikesville. Held annually, the Miles That Matters Run/Walk forwards the mission of the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults and the Pikesville Chamber of Commerce. The morning’s events will feature a 5K Run/Walk, a Fun Run – for young children, and a Post-Race Celebration to include our popular breakfast! Whether you run in the race, join the kids for the Fun Run, or volunteer- support both these great causes. We are in need of volunteers to help support us leading up to and on Race Day. This is a great opportunity to get involved with the community. For more information and to sign up visit the web site at: www.pikesvillechamber.org or contact Jessica Normington at firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Electronics Museum
The museum near BWI Airport serves students and the general public by collection, preservation and display of significant artifacts and literature and the commemoration of the creativity and dedication of pioneers and workers in the field of electronics. Volunteers, age 18 and up, are needed week days and weekends for education and outreach, for special events, as an administrative assistant, as collections assistants, and for visitor services. Training will be provided. To apply, call Michael Simons at 410-765-0230 or email@example.com. Apply online at web site:www.nationalelectronicsmuseum.org. Extra volunteers may be needed for the following events:
· July 17 & 18 & August 14 & 15, 2014, Pioneer Camp 2014: The theme for Pioneer Camp 2014 is Mad Scientist! We are offering two sessions of our popular two-day mini-camp for kids aged 8-10: (The same camp is being offered twice, applicants should only register for one session). Contact Kirsten Messinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to register.
· 9 am-1 pm, August 7-8, Junior Curator Camp: The museum is offering a new opportunity for kids, aged 12-16 to become Junior Curators at the museum. In this two morning summer mini-camp students will learn how to handle and care for museum objects and will design their own mini exhibit. To register, contact Alice Donahue email@example.com
National Sailing Hall of Fame
Join us and spread the love of sailing to Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM) high school students this summer! The National Sailing Hall of Fame needs your help. Please donate a little bit of your time to sail on the Bay near Annapolis. We have two sessions: June 30-July 9 and July 21st-31st. 11:30am-3:30pm. You can participate as much or as little as you like. Each participating boat will have a trained chaperone / instructor on board who will be responsible for the students, so all you have to do is pilot your boat and share in the fun! For more information and to sign up visit the web site at: www.nshof.org and click on “Education” then “Sign up…..” in yellow on the right side of the page. For more informationcontact:firstname.lastname@example.org.