With yet another winter storm predicted to hit Annapolis Wednesday night, bringing with it 5 inches or more of snow and sleet, the Anne Arundel County Police Department is reminding drivers of safety precautions to take.
• Always plan ahead before traveling during the winter months. Remember to check your local forecasts for the possibility of inclement weather along your route.
• If possible, combine several trips into one and stay off the roads during a winter storm.
• If adverse conditions are in the forecast, check your vehicle’s fluids, windshield wipers and tire pressure prior to leaving and make sure to have a full tank of gas.
• Store an ice scraper, a snow shovel, flashlights, jumper cables and blankets in your vehicle in the event that your vehicle becomes disabled.
• Do not leave your vehicle unattended.
• Reduce speeds and increase the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you as “spinouts” are common with ice and snow on the roads.
• During snowstorms, clear all snow and ice from your vehicle. Peephole driving (only removing small areas of ice and snow) reduces visibility and increases the chance that ice or snow will dislodge and strike another vehicle while traveling.