.

City's Longtime Planning Director Dismissed

A national search is underway to replace Arason, a city spokeswoman said.

Patch file photo
Patch file photo
The city's longtime director of planning Jon Arason has been let go as an employee.

The dismissal was announced by the city on Monday—one month after Mayor Mike Pantelides took the reins from Josh Cohen.

Arason had been an employee within the city's planning department since 1987, rising from Chief of Comprehensive Planning to Planning Director in 1996.

Sally Nash, the city's Chief of Comprehensive Planning, has been named as acting director for the department, while a national search begins to find a permanent replacement for Arason.

Arason could not be reached for comment on this story. Pantelides issued a statement on Arason's departure through a press release.

“I am grateful for all that Mr. Arason has done for the City and its residents over the past 27 years,” Pantelides said. “I know change is difficult, but I believe changes are necessary to thoroughly review the department and its policies and procedures. I wish Jon much success in his future endeavors.”

Eye on Annapolis reported that Arason had regularly been a supporter of projects backed by former mayor Cohen, including Crystal Springs and the controversial City Dock Master Plan—both of which were sticking points in debates between the two candidates.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »