Rolling Knolls Elementary School
Although the sign for Rolling Knolls Elementary (RKE) is visible from busy Generals Highway, the school is tucked back on Valley Road within the Rolling Knolls community. The first clue that this school is something special can be found outside the main entrance, where whimsical mosiac sculptures appear on brick walls and in a garden of rose bushes. RKE serves students in pre-kindergarten through grade five. Both students and staff work hard to fulfill the RKE promise each day to "be the best that they can be." RKE feeds into Bates Middle School, which offers an art-enriched curriculum and the Performing and Visual Arts (PVA) program.
Designated as a Maryland Green School in June 2010, RKE is proud to have students engage in environment-saving efforts. Visitors to RKE must check into the main office and be prepared to show a state-issued photo ID.
Parents are encouraged to participate in RKE's Citizen Action Committee (CAC) and Parent Teacher Organization (PTO), which meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30pm in the media center. For more information, go to www.rkepto.org.
Before- and after-school care is available at RKE through Anne Arundel County Recreation and Parks. Please call 410-222-7856 for details.
- Fax: 410-222-5828
- Hours: School hours: 9:15am - 3:40pm; Office hours: 8:55am - 4pm; office and school closed on Fridays during the summer.
- Handicap Accessible: The entrance is level with the sidewalk.
- Founding Date: Sep 01 1963
- Number of students: 451
- Male-to-female ratio: 234:217
- Public/Private: Public
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: free
- Grade levels: pre-K - 5
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Computer lab, Infirmary, Library
- Extracurricular activities available: Many opportunities exist for students interested in art, band (grades 4 and 5), strings (grades 3 - 5), dance (grade 5), music and chorus
- Sports teams: Annual event: RKE Rocket Run 5K and 1-mile Race
- Student clubs: Robotics, yearbook, Chess Club, Lego Club, "24 Game" Math Club, Stock Market Game, Girls on the Run