Best Schools In MD Revealed In 2023 Rankings
Patch reporter Mark Hand wrote this story.
MARYLAND — Throughout the year, various publications release “best of” lists to help guide Maryland residents’ educational choices, from the best elementary schools to the best colleges and universities to pursue a graduate degree.
Maryland figured prominently in several data analyses and study-driven rankings for education, from U.S. News & World Report, Niche, Newsweek and others. Some highlights:
According to U.S. News, Maryland boasts several of the best high schools, middle schools and elementary schools.
Poolesville High School in Montgomery County was the top-ranked high school in Maryland, while Clarksville Middle School in Howard County was the top-ranked middle school and Cold Spring Elementary in Montgomery County was the top-ranked elementary school.
Among colleges, Johns Hopkins University and the University of Maryland at College Park were ranked among the top 100 in the country by U.S. News & World Report. Johns Hopkins University, in fact, was ranked the ninth-best college in the country.
- U.S. News & World Report Best Elementary/Middle Schools
- U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges
- U.S. News & World Report Best High Schools
- U.S. News & World Report Best graduate schools
- U.S. News & World Report Best online bachelor's, master's programs
The ranking and review site Niche also weighed in on the best public schools, school districts and colleges in Maryland. Read more:
- Niche Best Public Schools in Maryland
- Niche Best Districts in Maryland
- Niche Best colleges in Maryland
Six schools in Maryland were designated National Blue Ribbon Schools by the Department of Education. Read more:
Another government report, the Nation’s Report Card from the National Center for Education Statistics, said that in Maryland, the average score of fourth-grade students in Maryland was 229. This was lower than the average score of 235 for public school students in the nation. Read more:
Finally, Money magazine’s list of the best colleges included 16 Maryland institutions. Read more:
More News from Annapolis
- Historic Former Black Beach Expanding, Adding Visitor Center In Annapolis Chuck Berry performed along this Annapolis coast during segregation. Now an honorary park, the city is adding a welcome center to tell the history of Black recreation on the bay.
- South River Wins County Wrestling Championship, 10 Other Schools Win Matches: Report South River won the county’s wrestling championship, a report said. Ten other schools won individual matches in the county tournament.